The Yale Cancer Biology Institute (YCBI) connects scientists from across Yale to study the common underlying causes of cancer, wherever it appears. Traditional cancer research continues to focus on vital questions about the treatment and care of specific types of cancer. Complementing this work, today’s research also seeks to understand core cellular and molecular links across multiple cancers. The purpose of the Cancer Biology Institute is to study this core biology.
The YCBI was envisioned by founding Director Joseph Schlessinger, PhD, William H. Prusoff Professor and Chair of Pharmacology at Yale School of Medicine. Now joined by Mark A. Lemmon, PhD, the David A. Sackler Professor of Pharmacology and the Institute’s Co-Director, the Institute will be created from the ground up, with 2-3 new laboratories coming on stream each year over the next 5 years.
Drs. Schlessinger and Lemmon are committed to building an institute for the long term and with a clear emphasis on making their research count for cancer. In concert with Yale Cancer Center, the Institute aims to become a driver of basic science through opportunities emerging from clinical research already at Yale.
Faculty Advisory Committee:
- Mark Lemmon (Pharmacology), Co-Director
- Joseph Schlessinger (Pharmacology), Co-Director
- Barbara Burtness (Medical Oncology)
- Karen Anderson (Pharmacology and Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry)
- Susan Baserga (Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Genetics and Therapeutic Radiology)
- Marcus Bosenberg (Dermatology and Pathology)
- David Calderwood (Pharmacology and Cell Biology)
- Craig Crews (Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology and Chemistry)
- Daniel DiMaio (Genetics and Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry)
- Don Engelman (Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry)
- Roy Herbst (Pharmacology, Medicine/Medical Oncology)
- Valerie Horsley (Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology and Dermatology)
- Peter Glazer (Genetics and Therapeutic Radiology, Chair)
- Lynne Regan (Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry Chemistry)
- Peter Schulam (Urology)
- David Stern (Pathology)
- Scott Strobel (Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry)
- Joann Sweasy (Therapeutic Radiology and Genetics)